Friday 21 January 2011

Yellow fruits

Last Saturday, I came across this fruit store in Yishun that was selling this yellowish fruits. On the little handwritten price tag, the fruits were identified in Chinese as 枇杷 (translated as Loquat or Eriobotrya japonica). I was quite excited as this was the first time I seen it sold here.


I brought some home, took some pictures and ate one of them. As I had only eaten this fruit once and that was many years back, I cannot really recall its taste. It did not occur to me that this was not Loquat. The fresh part was thin and juicy. It had a fragrant smell.


The single seed in the middle of the fruit was large when compared to the size of the fruit. The texture and seed appearance resembled a mini-mango.



After doing some search in the Internet, this fruit was indeed not Loquat. The real Loquat has more than one seed in each fruit.

The fruit that I bought was likely to be a Spondias species (maybe S. mombin). Though I did not manage to eat what I wanted to eat, I did get to know a new fruit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep on working, great job!