Saturday 8 January 2011

Malayan Eggfly - Hypolimnas anomala anomala

I saw the caterpillars of the Malayan Eggfly again when I took a walk at Admiralty Park this afternoon. The distribution of the caterpillars was rather massive. They were seen at least in 3 different spots of the park.

A few of the host plants (Australian Mulberry) had been cleared of the leaves. The appetite of the caterpillars was certainly good.


Feasting continued at several of the host plants around the same vicinity. So far, I had only seen the caterpillar on this particular type of host plant.


Due to the heavy caterpillar traffic and the windy condition, a few of them had fallen onto the ground below the host plants. This is a close up of the black with orange spikes caterpillar.


Though I did not manage to take any picture of the butterfly this time round, I did capture this interesting variant (form nivas) of the butterfly.


It started to spread its wing after settling on a leaf and allowed me to get close to take this beautiful portray.


Back in 2009, I had a chance to witness the massive egg laying activity of this butterfly at the park. It must be very exhausted after laying these huge numbers of eggs.


This is how a Malayan Eggfly looks like. The yellowish patch below it were its eggs.


This female butterfly showing the upper side of its wings was spotted at a distance at my last visit to the park in December.


Despite several sighting of the caterpillars in massive numbers, I had yet to see a pupae.

I will share other sightings of today's Admiralty Park walk in another post.

No comments: