Sunday 23 January 2011

Walk at Admiraty Park

Yesterday, I dropped by Admiralty Park for the second time within a month. The previous trip was about 2 weeks back. First, I went to check out the status of the caterpillars of the Malayan Eggfly that I saw previously. A few of them were still around on the Australian Mulberry plant at one spot.


There were a numbers Malayan Eggfly seen along the walk. One had even landed on the lower part of my long pants. Based on the upper wing colour, it should be a male butterfly.


Though there were plenty of other butterflies around, I only managed to take the picture of this Malay Viscount (Tanaecia pelea pelea).


Such orange skipper was rather common.


The wired looking creature is a type of Monkey grasshopper (Family: Eumastacidae).


Spiders were abundant this time round. There were a few Golden Orb Web Spider (Nephila maculata). This one shaped like a Golden Orb Web Spider except for the colour of its body and legs.


The second spider was this common St. Andrew’s Cross Spider (probably Argiope versicolor).


Another St. Andrew’s Cross Spider was found head down on the leaf of a Callicarpa glabrifolia plant, thus allowing me to take a peek of its back end where the web spinning outlet (spinneret) can be vaguely seen.


The third spider was one that I had not seen before. It had a pair of rather long structure at the front end which I cannot be sure whether they are the legs or the pincer. It may be the male Wide-Jawed Viciria (Viciria praemandibularis).


The Hover Fly (probably an Allograpta species) seemed to keep its wings extended all the time, even when it was at a resting position.


I was fortunate to see three Tortoise Beetles (part of the leaf beetles' family, Chrysomelidae). The first two were Spotted Tortoise Beetles (should be Aspidomorpha species).



The third Tortoise Beetle was smaller in size than the first two. I did not realize it was a Tortoise Beetle due to its small size until I reviewed the picture back home.


Besides the Tortoise Beetle, the other highlight of this trip was these caterpillars seen on a Common Yellow Stem Fig tree just before I exited the park. There were many of these fig tree in the park but this was the first time I spotted caterpillars on them.


A close-up picture of the caterpillar. Not sure whether they were butterfly or moth caterpillars. [Update: Caterpillars belong to the Asota Plana moth.]


As usual, it was another refreshing trip though I have come by this park many times.

No comments: