Friday 14 January 2011

Consolidation of Hawkmoth caterpillars

Although I have seen many caterpillars over the years, I do not recall seeing a Hawkmoth caterpillar until the later part of last year. Since then, I have spotted quite a few of these caterpillars which usually have a spiky structure at their tail end. Most likely, I could not recognize one in the past.

I have pulled all the pictures of these caterpillars sighted to date in this post.

(1) 2 October 2010: Enpinanga Borneensis (host plant: Simpoh Air) - Marsiling area


(2) 20 November 2010: Same type of caterpillar as above - Marsiling area


(3) 2 January 2011: Same type of caterpillar as above - Marsiling area


(4) 11 December 2010: Elephant Hawk Moth (host plant: Elephant's Ear) - Admiralty Park


(5) 24 December 2010: Unknown (host plant: Unknown) - Penang (Malaysia)


(6) 31 December 2010: Unknown (host plant: Seaside Clerodendrum) - Kranji Nature Trail


As for Hawkmoth, I have so far only seen one (a Hummingbird Hawkmoth) during its flight in July 2010 at the Dairy Farm Nature Park. This was the best picture I could get with my humble camera.


It seems that when you know what you want and start looking, you are likely to see what you are seeking --- a thought to ponder.

No comments: