Wednesday 15 February 2012

Flowering at My Balcony Garden

It has been a year since I last posted something on this blog. I have not being idling but rather have been focusing my leftover energy on my website.

Let me start 2012, though 90 days have gone, by sharing some plants that are flowering at my little balcony garden.

This bamboo-like plant has been a resident here since July 2009. It is commonly called Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena surculosa) but the fact is that it is not a bamboo. It has started to flower again in January with 3 of these drooping flower stalks around the plant.


 By early February, the flowers bloomed and it was over in a day. The flowering usually takes place in the evening and by the next morning, they withered.


The other plant that started blooming is hoya (Hoya pachyclada). It is another plant that has been with me for quite a while, since July 2009. When it first arrived, there were 4 branches. Now, there is only one last branch left.


The bloom can last at least 3 days. This particular species emits a fragrant smell but you need to get you nose close to the flowers. The liquid droplets seen on the flower are not water. They are released by the flowers and have a sweet taste. The fascination of this plant has led me to do a write up of my hoya experience in my website.


Coming up next is a weed (Polygala paniculata) with tiny white flowers growing on stalks. Each flower is about 1 to 2 millimetre in length which is really small.  It has an interesting common name, root beer plant. I just read that its root has a root beer smell.


I did not actually grow this plant. The first plant appeared out of the soil one day and I decided to let nature takes it course. The seeds or fruits are even smaller than the flowers.


That will be all for today.

No comments: